Australian Musical Theatre Playlist May 2018

We are absolutely thrilled to present the first Australian Musical Theatre Playlist!

This collaboration between Trevor Jones, and Home Grown is designed to promote some of the amazing work by Australian composers and lyricists and help it to become more accessible for performers all over the world.

Over 50 submissions were received and these 10 songs were chosen by the selection panel consisting of Trevor Jones (Lecturer in Musical Theatre, Queensland Conservatorium, Griffith University), Nick Hedger and Ben Nicholson (Home Grown), Matt Edwards ( and Stuart Hendricks (Music Theatre International). We are pleased to be able to showcase some established composers and writers such as Paul Keelan and Gary Young, Eddie Perfect and Craig Christie as well as a number of emerging artists. The songs are listed in alphabetical order with a brief description of each song.

Sheet Music for each song is available for purchase using the links below each video. 70% of the price of each purchase goes directly to the composers and the remaining 30% goes into developing future Australian works through Home Grown.

Please support Australian work by sharing this list widely, watching the videos, purchasing the sheet music and using these songs for auditions, classes and concerts.

We are planning to put out a call for submissions for the next playlist in the next few months, so spread the word as much as possible!

We can’t wait to showcase even more Australian-written Musical Theatre songs with this initiative for many years to come.

Here are the 10 songs which made our inaugural list:

Trevor Jones

Trevor Jones is currently a Lecturer in Musical Theatre at the Queensland Conservatorium, Griffith University. He is in demand around Australia and internationally as a musical director, conductor, arranger, educator and performer. Professional Musical Theatre credits include Avenue Q (Prince Moo Productions), 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee (Vic Theatre Company, 2016), Dogfight (Doorstep Arts, 2016), Next to Normal (Doorstep Arts, 2014), Titanic (Ballarat, 2012) and Dear World (Magnormos Productions, 2011). He was also the Musical Director of Twisted Broadway in 2014 and 2017 featuring many of Australia's leading musical theatre performers. He was the recipient of the 2011 Brian Stacey Award for Emerging Australian Conductors and works in a wide variety of musical styles and genres, spanning opera, musical theatre, choral music and contemporary commercial music. Trevor has regularly toured internationally, conducting large scale concert tours in major venues throughout mainland China with Broadway performers including Lisa Vroman and Brad Little as well as Australian singers and orchestral musicians. Trevor was Head of Voice and Associate Musical Director of the Victorian State Schools Spectacular from 2011 - 2014. As a performer, Trevor has hosted regular nights at The Butterfly Club and Chapel off Chapel. He has performed as a piano bar entertainer around the world and in cabaret shows in major festivals and venues around Australia. He is currently working towards a PhD focussing on Coaching Opera Singers in Musical Theatre Song.

Trevor Jones

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *