We catch up with Marney McQueen – currently starring as Velma Von Tussle in the hit musical Hairspray at Sydney’s Lyric Theatre.
1. As a child, what did you want to be when you grew up?
An author. I was crazy about books, especially Enid Blyton.
2. Who is the most important person in the world to you?
At this very moment, my beautiful sister Gretchen, who is pregnant with her first baby.
3. What animal best represents you and why?
A Lion: I have a big roar, but I’m quick to retreat into my den, and I’m fiercely loyal to my family and close friends.
4. If you were a contestant on Deal or No Deal, how much would you need to be on offer before you walked away?
5. What’s the worst date you’ve ever had?
Gosh, there have been a lot! I did get stood up by Rob Mills and I’ve been looking for the right time to mention that on the internet, so thanks!
6. Windows or MAC?
7. Which Spice Girl was your favourite?
8. Who is the actor you would be most like to work alongside?
I would like to do another show with Gary Macdonald. Working with him is like doing fourth year of an acting degree!
9. What five songs would be the first you put a mix tape?
You’ve got the love – Candi Stratton
For Once In My Life – Stevie Wonder
Man In The Mirror – Michael Jackson
One Moment In Time – Whitney Houston
…and anything by Jessie J
10. What is the best thing about theatre in Australia?
The show folk
11. What is the worst thing about theatre in Australia?
That we don’t have enough Australian musicals, in comparison with the amount of show we re-mount from West End and Broadway productions.
12. Favourite food?
A side serve of peas.
13. What would you do if you found a wallet on the ground?
Find the guy and give it back – what goes around comes around!
14. What’s the worst job you’ve ever had?
I used to be a singing telegram, which was a fabulous job, except for one night when I turned up at a guys 21st in a bogan suburb. Just as I appeared, by myself in a French Maid costume, the power went off and about 100 guys began whooping and cheering! I just ran!
15. What’s the first website you visit when you come online?
16. Name one moment when you looked around, breathed happily and felt content.
Yesterday when I was shouted lunch at Icebergs! What’s not to love about that!
17. Red or white?
Partial to both…
18. Where is the most interesting place you have travelled?
Once when I was performing in my one woman comedy show in Perth, I looked up to see the audience physically bending over and slapping their thighs with laughter. I would like to go back there again.
19. Who is the most famous person you’ve ever met?
20. Where do you see yourself in five years?
I like to dream big: Hopefully performing as my character Rosa the Russian Beautician on the West End
+ 1 Question from Francine Cain, the last person to answer AussieTheatre.com’s 20 questions:
What is your life motto?
I just try to live simply and honestly, and I try to go to bed each night having made some effort to make the world a better place.
Hairspray is currently playing at the Lyric Theatre, Sydney